Applications are invited from suitably qualified individuals to fill the post of Director Human Resources Management and Development at the Barbados Water Authority.
The Barbados Water Authority (BWA) is the Statutory Board charged with the responsibility for the efficient management of the island’s water resources to ensure provision of an adequate and regular supply of safe potable water and satisfactory waste water services. The BWA is fast paced, high energy, customer focused and highly responsive to the needs of its employees and customers alike.
The Authority operates in a unionised environment and has a mixed staff complement of full time and temporary workers numbering approximately seven hundred and fifty (750) employees operating from fifty (50) facilities across the island. It is currently engaged in several operational and capital works projects and is changing a number of work systems and processes, with a view to modernizing its operations.
The Director, Human Resources Management and Development will be responsible for planning, directing, controlling, coordinating and executing all the activities of the Human Resources Department, inclusive of advising on the reorganisation and modernisation of the Barbados Water Authority, managing Employee/Industrial Relations, the installation of modern Human Resources Management Systems, Change Management initiatives, Information Systems, as well as training and development of all employees.
The Director, Human Resources Management and Development, will form part of the core management team of the Authority and report directly to the General Manager.
The Director, Human Resources Management and Development, will also be required to present regular briefings and to support the General Manager in submissions to the Authority’s Board with respect to HR related activities.
- Oversee the proper functioning of the Human Resources Management and Development Department in their critical support role for all of the organisation’s departments.
- Lead the preparation, implementation, monitoring, evaluation and reporting on the Authority’s Human Resources Strategic plan for the guidance of Management and the Board.
- Ensure that operations are consistent with the Public Sector/Statutory Authority’s Service Human Resources practices.
- Drive the establishment and management of all Human Resources-related functions.
- Structure the Human Resources Management Systems to ensure proper standards re: administrative support, allocation of duties and responsibilities, recruitment and selection of staff.
- Lead and drive development, implementation, and maintenance of procedures for employee engagement, development and succession planning.
- Provide oversight on Industrial Relations practices and employment law to ensure appropriate Labour/Management relations are practiced.
- Represent the Barbados Water Authority in Industrial Relations matters including the negotiation of Industrial Relations agreements relating to the Authority’s Bargaining Units
- Prepare position papers and briefs to provide recommendations/solutions to the Board through the General Manager.
- Drive the development and management of the Safety and Health programmes, employee engagement and change management initiatives, training and development programmes, disciplinary and grievance handling procedures, employee assistance programmes, welfare programmes, pensions and medical insurance matters.
- Devising and implementing strategies and initiatives to foster an environment of employee engagement and performance.
- Develop risk management practices to avert Human Resource challenges by ensuring adequate staffing to achieve the overall strategic goals of the organisation.
- Help devise and implement strategies for the management of overtime.
Support management by providing human resources analytics to guide management decisions and thereby guide management and employee actions by researching, developing and updating policies, procedures, methods, and guidelines which communicate and enforce organizational values.
- Any other duties as assigned by the General Manager and the Board of Directors from time to time.
ATTRIBUTES, COMPETENCIES AND KNOWLEDGE
- Possess strong leadership skills;
- Demonstrate initiative and the ability to make decisions;
- Performance driven and results oriented;
- Must be highly confidential;
- Excellent oral and written communication skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and organisational skills;
- Possess strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Proven ability to work as part of a team
- Knowledge of Barbados Labour Laws and experience in Industrial Relations would be an asset; and
- Strong negotiation skills
QUALIFICATIONS AND EXPERIENCE
- A Master’s degree in Human Resources Management, Public Administration, Public Sector Management or Employment/Industrial Relations or a related discipline from a recognised university and a minimum of seven (7) years’ experience at Executive/Senior Management level in a Public and/or Private Sector.
SALARY AND ALLOWANCES
The successful candidate will receive an attractive salary and benefits package based on their qualifications and experience.
Applications supported by full Curriculum Vitae should be emailed to HR@bwa.gov.bb or addressed to:
The General Manager
Barbados Water Authority
Pine Commercial Estate
The closing date for receipt of applications is Thursday, January 5th 2023.