Barbados Water Authority Act, Cap. 274A
NOTICE GIVEN UNDER SECTION 14 OF THE BARBADOS WATER AUTHORITY (WATER SERVICES) REGULATIONS, 1982
The Barbados Water Authority, in exercise of the powers conferred by Section 14(1) of the Barbados Water Authority (Water Services) Regulations, 1982 hereby prohibits the use of potable water for:
- irrigation or watering of gardens, lawns and grounds by hose or sprinkler systems;
- filling or supplying tanks, ponds, baths or swimming pools other than:
- dipping tanks for cattle,
- domestic baths not exceeding 120 litres (32 gals) in capacity, and
- elevated reserve tanks, not exceeding 800 litres (211 gals) in capacity and connected to household sewerage or water supply systems;
- washing roadways, pavements, paths, garages, outrooms or vehicles by hose;
- washing of windows and building exteriors.
The general public is advised that the aforesaid prohibition will recommence on Monday, April 24, 2023 and end on Friday, June 30, 2023. While this prohibition is in effect, no person shall use or cause or permit to be used, for any prohibited purpose, any water supplied by or obtained from the pipes of the Barbados Water Authority except in accordance with the conditions hereinafter set out.
The general public is further advised that it is an offence for any person to contravene this prohibition and such person will be liable on summary conviction to a fine of $500 and in default of payment to imprisonment for one (1) month.
The above prohibition is subject to the following conditions:
Animal farmers are permitted to use handheld hoses or pressure washers (rated at less than 3 gallons per minute) with an automatic flow cut off device to wash the surroundings where the animals are kept.
Non-Commercial Vehicle Wash
Vehicles other than vehicles washed at a commercial vehicle wash, a business that services, details or repairs vehicles or a vehicle dealership are permitted to be washed using a bucket.
Windows, Buildings etc.
- Building gutters are permitted to be cleaned at any time by any means.
- Windows and other external parts of buildings are permitted to be washed at any time by using a bucket and mop/brush, squeegee or a high-pressure low-volume cleaner.
- Except in the circumstances mentioned by this paragraph water from Barbados Water Authority’s supply shall not be used to wash building exteriors unless cleaning is necessary as a result of an accident, fire, health hazard or other emergency. In such circumstances the most water-efficient method available should be adopted.
Roadways, Dust Suppression
Wherever practicable non-potable water should be used to wash down roadways, driveways, construction materials.
In greenfield sites the use of water from the Barbados Water Authority’s supply that is legally obtained, is permitted to be used for dust or pollutant suppression or earth compaction only by means of a hose fitted with an automatic flow cut-off device or a vehicle fitted with sprinklers.
For further information or advice please contact the BWA’s Customer Service department at (246) 434-4292.
To view additional conditions, please click the link or scan the QR code below.
- Keithroy Halliday
- General Manager
- Barbados Water Authority
- Dated this 21st day of April 2023